G.I.R.L. 2017


On Wednesday, October 4 through Sunday, October 8 four girls flew to Columbus, Ohio representing Girl Scouts of Nassau County at G.I.R.L 2017. They were Emma V., a ninth grader and a Girl Scout Senior, Emma W.U., an eleventh grader, and Amanda I. and Chloe V., twelfth grade Girl Scout  Ambassadors. Chloe is also a Member-at-Large of the Board of Directors. These four girls were National Council Delegates from the Jericho-Syosset Service Unit, Rockville Centre Service Unit, and Glen Clove Service Unit. Here are some excerpts from an interview with the girls. For the full interview check out our blog.

What was your favorite highlight?
“My favorite highlight from convention was being able to meet and talk to so many different Girl Scouts from around the country and the world.”  -Amanda I (AI)

What was it like during the National Council Sessions?
“It was very interesting to see how policy is formed and to learn about Robert’s Rules of Order experientially. It was also interesting to have to follow what was going on, what changed, and what we were voting on, outside of the proposals, based on what was said on the floor.” -Emma W.U. (EWU)

What was one of your favorite breakout sessions or what speakers did you enjoy?
“My favorite speakers were Chelsea Clinton and the 2017 National Young Women of Distinction. I really enjoyed hearing about their projects and the advice they provided to other girls looking to make an impact on their community. Listening to Chelsea Clinton speak was a once in a lifetime experience. I also really liked listening to Marley Davis, the founder of #1000BlackGirlBooks. She was so cute and inspiring. She spoke so well and was very professional for a 12 year old.”  -Chloe V. (CV)

Talk about the Hall of Experience. What was your favorite part?
“In the Hall of Experiences I really enjoyed the Joann Fabric create a cape station. I also loved the orienteering USA table. They had an orienteering course set up around the Hall of experiences where you followed the map you were given to each place marked and hole punched the map.” -EWU
“The Hall of Experiences is always a crazy experience. With over a hundred vendors throughout the hall there is ALWAYS something to do. My favorite part of the 2017 Hall of Experiences was the SCUBA booth where we were able to learn how to scuba dive.” -AI

What was something you learned or took away from GIRL 2017?
I learned from the National Young Women of Distinction that hard work and dedication can get you very far. Each of them put time and effort into their Gold Award projects and they ended up having amazing effects and impacts on their community and the world.”  -Emma V. (EV)
“The entire GIRL 2017 experience was very inspiring.  There are so many different Girl Scouts and each and every person has completely different values and I learned just how important it is to be a part of this girl environment.  This organization really does shape each and every one of us as a person.”  -AI   

What would you recommend or what advice would you give to others who are planning on attending GIRL 2020?
“I definitely recommend attending G.I.R.L. 2020!! G.I.R.L. 2017 was one of the best trips I have been on! I would recommend leaving lots of room in your suitcase because of all of the free giveaways and SWAPS available to collect. I would also recommend being open to trying new activities and branching out and leaving your comfort zone because every new and exciting activity was an amazing experience! I would also recommend that anyone planning to attend G.I.R.L. 2020 should prepare to be exhausted! We packed SOOO many activities into a short five days, but it was so worthwhile.”  -CV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson