Are You Man Enough to be a Girl Scout?

Men Volunteer Their Time to Help Their Daughters Get the Girl Scout Experience

In honor of Father’s Day, the Girl Scouts of Nassau County (GSNC) are commending the fathers who make being a Girl Scout possible and invite other Dads to step up to the challenge. Our male Troop Leaders, council members, Cookie Dads and behind-the-scenes volunteers are crucial to the success of each Girl Scout experience. The organization creates openings for fathers to be a part of their daughter’s lives and strengthen their relationships with one another through participation in numerous activities. We encourage fathers to be involved and on this holiday, thank the unsung heroes who load the camping gear into the truck, build “bridges” for our bridging ceremonies and lend a hand when needed.

The Girl Scouts of Nassau County considers itself lucky to know numerous fathers interested in volunteering their time to contribute to their daughter’s, and other Girl Scout’s, experiences. These include Angelo A. and Jon W. of Bellmore, NY; Jeff S. of East Meadow, NY; Wayne G. of Jericho, NY; and Clyde R. Jr. of Baldwin, NY; who are committed to further carrying the spirit of the Girl Scouts. When a group of hopeful Girl Scouts were in risk of being put on a waiting list to find a Troop Leader, Angelo and Jon stepped up to the plate as co-Leaders.

“My involvement started when my wife asked if I wanted to enroll Ella in Daisy’s, and I said sure, what is a Daisy?” said Angelo. “When I attended the recruitment meeting I was told that due to an extensive waiting list in the area, Ella wouldn’t be placed in a Troop for about a year. Once I realized the opportunity in front of me I became a Troop Leader and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

“This experience has made me realize how precious the time I spend with my daughters is. More importantly, my daughters know that they can count on me as both a parent and a leader,” said Jon. “I enjoy knowing all the skills I am able to teach my daughters through the Girl Scout program will serve them well as they grow up.”

However, the ways in which Dads can contribute to the success of the Girl Scouts is not limited to becoming Troop Leaders. The seamless execution of the numerous events and activities would not be possible without the support of hundreds of men who volunteer throughout the year. Retired New York City Police Office Jeff utilizes his expertise to play a crucial role in event logistics, such as directing traffic at the recent GSNC “Girls Go the Distance” Walkathon.

“I enjoy working with the Girl Scouts and witnessing it help young girls build their self-esteem and develop problem solving skills,” said Strauber. “I appreciate that Girl Scouts is a healthy outlet for girls to work on their self-image and eventually allows them to become wonderful young women. I always jump at the opportunity to be involved with anything that my girls are a part of; it is a rewarding experience to see how much Girl Scouts has positively influenced them, and it is great to see that they are all still involved in one way or another.”

When GSNC Dads are not leading a Troop or volunteering at events, they are raising the world’s next greatest entrepreneurs by assisting with annual Girl Scout Cookies® sales. The GSNC is lucky to have fathers like Wayne G who was more than willing to help his daughter succeed in selling over 650 Girl Scout Cookies™ for a good cause. Wayne’s daughter Alexia, along with her troop, was able to use funds collected from the sales to donate three “Buddy Benches,” which serve as common meeting places for kids to make friends on the playground.

“It was very inspiring to watch Alexia work towards her goal of selling enough cookies to purchase and donate ‘Buddy Benches’ to the three Jericho School District elementary schools, “ shared Wayne. “She was highly motivated. I enjoyed supporting my daughter and offering her guidance. Then after someone on the ‘Massapequa Moms’ group on Facebook challenged me to wear a Thin Mint Cookie costume, I did not hesitate. Alexia was able to boost sales by an additional 150 boxes and we personally delivered the cookies together, me in full costume.”

The GSNC has the opportunity to watch Girl Scouts grow and develop from a Daisy to an Ambassador alongside their parents. Clyde of Baldwin reflects on the memories he has shared with his daughter, now 18 years old, over the last 13 years she has been involved in the GSNC. As a supportive father, he has continuously volunteered his time to help with activities, and is known in his office as the “go-to-guy” during Girl Scout Cookie™ Season.

“I have always been willing to offer any type of support, whether it has been helping prepare for meetings, transporting girls to activities or helping with cookie sales,” shares Clyde. “I have enjoyed watching my daughter grow and exhibit the confidence she has gained from her journey as a Girl Scout. I’ve witnessed her take risks and lead events and discussions with younger girls. Girl Scout’s has encouraged her to find her voice and speak up for herself and those are skills she will carry into adulthood.” 

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the dads and father-figures who help make Girl Scouting possible for their girls. We wish you all a Happy Father's Day!
 
To get involved with Girl Scouts or to learn more about volunteering, visit www.gsnc.org.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson