Tea for Two Tuesday is celebrated on the third Tuesday in March! Tea for Two Tuesday encourages us to take some time out of our day to enjoy our favorite snack or beverage with our friends, family, or sister Girl Scouts and have a chat. Girls may feel less inclined to participate in troop meetings over zoom, but these light icebreakers will help them tap into their imagination and creativity. Below are conversation starters that will help develop interactions between you and your troop, and between girls as well.
- What is the nicest thing you did for someone else this week? Being kind to others helps us feel more positive about ourselves as well. This is a great way to share ideas on how we can continue to spread kindness.
- If you could choose any superpower, which would it be? Teleportation, shapeshifting, superhuman strength are all great options, but the possibilities are endless. Would you use a secret identity?
- If you ran for president (or class president), what would your campaign slogan be and why? What changes would you make in your school or community?
- What’s your favorite scent and why? Our sense of smell is connected to our emotions. A scent can remind us of a happy memory, our favorite foods, or it can help us feel more relaxed.
- If you had a theme song, what would it be? Afterwards you can make a playlist of everyone’s songs.
- If you could invite one more person to the troop meeting, who would it be and what would we talk about with them? This could help you learn about your troop’s other interests and could lead to a future activity.
- Are there any apps that you recommend to your troop? This could be an app for better organization, wellness, or another resource.
- If you could live in any book, which would you choose? You can tap into your imagination and discuss where the chosen book takes place. Does it take place in a different time period? Do the characters have magical powers? Do they give you hope?
- What’s something you’re not the best at, but you enjoy doing? We don’t always have to be the best at something to enjoy it. Sometimes the best part about a hobby is having the freedom to make mistakes.
- What animal do you think you’re most like and why? Different animals have different qualities that they’re known for. For example, octopi are very intelligent, dogs are playful and loyal, and elephants are strong, but peaceful.
- Would you rather have the ability to sing or play a musical instrument? You can follow up this question with would you rather be a soloist or be part of a band/musical?
- If you could time travel to see any concert, game, or event what would it be? Maybe you’d go see your favorite band with your sister Girl Scout or go to the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles
- What makes a good friend? What’s important to you in a friendship? Is your friend always there to listen? When she needs someone to talk to, do you listen to her?
- What is your favorite fashion trend? Fashion is a great way we can express ourselves. You can also follow this up by asking what past fashion trend you hope never makes a comeback?
- If you could make your own holiday what would it be? What would the festivities include? Tea for Two Tuesday gives us an excuse to step out of our routines to make some time to engage in conversation. What else deserves its own holiday?
Looking for Some Snack Ideas:
Check out these recipes featuring Girl Scout Cookies to enjoy with your troop on Tea for Two Tuesday!
- Samoas Popcorn
- Thin Mint Brownies
- Toffee-tastic Cookie Cake Pops
- Tagalongs Shake
- Additional recipes from Little Brownie Bakers
What are some of your favorite conversation starters you have used with your troop? Share with us at email@example.com.
About the Author
Lauren M is a program assistant at Girl Scouts of Nassau County and has been with the organization for 3 years. She studied psychology with a minor in studio art at SUNY Oneonta, and is currently working toward her masters in social work at Adelphi University.