Once a Girl Scout, Always a Girl Scout: Girl Scout Alum Raven's Story


Who are Girl Scouts? Girl Scouts are go-getters, innovators, risk-takers and leaders. They’re G.I.R.L.S who design robots, learn life skills, improve our neighborhoods and go on amazing adventures. They’re making a difference.
Girl Scouts is a lifelong adventure full of friendship, connection, service, and fun! Every Girl Scout Alum has a unique story to tell about her experiences and adventures, and we’re sharing those stories.
Girl Scout Alum Raven was a Girl Scout for 7 years and continues to volunteer with Girl Scouts of Nassau County in a variety of ways. 
Name: Raven Brewington
Council: Girl Scouts of Nassau County


Tell us about your time as a Girl Scout. Looking back, what were some highlights, important moments, life lessons, and/or favorite memories?
To say Girl Scouts changed my life is an understatement. My fondest memories revolve around Camp Blue Bay. I can remember the songs, campfires, swimming and crafts, not to mention all of the friendships I gained. I was able to blossom into the outgoing young woman I am today. Eventually my friends and fellow Girl Scouts from my troop would join me summer after summer to make memories we would enjoy for a lifetime.

Did Girl Scouts have an impact on your career choice/field of study? If so, how?
While Girl Scouts did not directly impact my career choice, it instilled in me the dedication to give back and inspire young women. I have consistently mentored and volunteered with Girl Scouts as an adult. From coaching softball during college in Philadelphia to volunteering at PRETTY GIRLS SWEAT where I encouraged young women and girls to live active and healthy lifestyles. Eventually I became a Troop Leader in my hometown of Elmont after graduating with my Bachelor of Science degree from Temple University.                      
What Girl Scout skills have you used in your college/professional life?
I can always thank Girl Scouts for teaching me skills I needed to be successful in any endeavor. The importance and knack for networking, communication, and entrepreneurship were not things I knew I was gaining through my time as a Girl Scout. From the badges, trips, and various activities we engaged in, I unknowingly learned things that ultimately shaped my values and the way I carry myself. I am more confident, adventurous, inquisitive, and independent because of Girl Scouts; being a leader wherever I am has become natural to me and I have Girl Scouts to thank for that.

Do you continue to volunteer with Girl Scouts? If so, how and why?
I continue to be a Troop Leader in Elmont, Delegate Chair for the Elmont Service Unit and National Delegate for Girl Scouts of Nassau County because I value the mission, vision and values of Girl Scouts. I am proud to be a part of an organization that builds up women and girls. I have been able to create my own event partnering GSNC and PRETTY GIRLS SWEAT. The Annual Girl Scout Fitness Party is a one of a kind experience to inspire and motivate young women and girls to improve the world by developing leadership skills through wellness. Recently I represented the United States at the Sangam World Centre for the 2019 Juliette Low Seminar. We had the opportunity to #LeadOutLoud and learn about leadership mindsets and the 5th Sustainable Development Goal, Gender Equality. The Sustainable Development Goals are a collection of 17 global goals designed to be a "blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all."

What advice would you give younger Girl Scouts?
I will always encourage younger Girl Scouts to be brave and try new things. We all have the strength inside of us to overcome our fears and be the best at whatever we put our mind to. Girl Scouts helped me realize if I wasn’t brave enough to try new things, I would not get to where I wanted to be.

If you could say anything to your younger self, what would it be?
You are smart, you are beautiful, and you have a brighter future than you can see right now. It is okay to not know all the answers, love your differences, and embrace change. I am happy that through life experiences I was able to understand these things, however, being able to hear them at an earlier age may have impacted my outlook on life as well.

What is one item you always carry with you?
I am very sentimental so I always have 3 pieces of jewelry on me at all times. A ring from my god-mother who always told me to be true to myself. A bracelet from my grandmother who constantly put others before herself and showed me that being selfless will get you further in life than being selfish ever could. And last, I always wear my necklace gifted to me by my mother. She is my number one fan and my support system. Having them with me at all times gives me the support I need to conquer any obstacle and get me through any situation I may face.

Tell us a little about yourself. How long were you a Girl Scout? Did you participate in any special Girl Scout groups and/or school teams/clubs? What are you passionate about?
I joined as a Daisy and continued until the Cadette level, totally 7 years as a Girl Member. I was heavily involved in activities in high school from band, National Honor Society, National Art Honor Society, National Foreign Language Honor Society, Key Club and being a captain of the varsity softball team throughout High School. While I never received any of the Girl Scout Higher Awards, I am most proud of continuing as an Adult Member and keeping my promise to become a Lifetime Member
After graduating college, I continued my passion for health and wellness. I worked at a premier fitness gym prior to entering my career in healthcare at Weill Cornell Medicine and eventually acquiring my Master of Health Administration at Hofstra University. I am excited to continue volunteering in my community and mentoring young women.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson