I Can’t Wait To… Get Started with the Girl Scout Year!



This time of year, I feel like a coach before the start of the season. I keep reading my playbooks, planning my strategy…although in this case the playbooks are the Girl Scout Journey Books and the Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting. You see, I am a Girl Scout Leader for both of my daughters’ Girl Scout Troops. 

I am particularly excited this year because both of my Troops are starting new levels in Scouting. My older daughter’s Troop will be Senior Girl Scouts and my younger daughter’s Troop will be Cadette Girl Scouts. I am a little nervous about keeping them engaged as they get older...will they still think its fun? Will they still want to do the work? You see, I take my role as their Girl Scout Leader very seriously; my girls tease me that I bleed green.

I wasn’t always this way. I was never a Girl Scout as a girl, but my husband was a Boy Scout, so when my older daughter started kindergarten, I wanted her to be a Daisy Girl Scout. When there was no one to run the Troop, I reluctantly became her Leader. I was scared to death at first, but I learned so much, met so many wonderful people and got to experience all these "a-ha” moments as I watched the girls in the Troop master new skills with each badge they earned. 

I realized what a privilege it was to have an opportunity to be a positive influence on girls’ lives…to be able to have a small role in building girls of courage, confidence and character. I think that being a Leader has made me want to be a better person, so that I can be a positive role model for my girls.
I had no idea that giving service to others could be so rewarding. Now, as I review the Journeys that each Troop chose, and figure out ways to implement the activities that the Leader Guides suggest, I am so happy that our Girl Scout year will be starting this week…in fact, I can’t wait!

Anna, Girl Scout Leader
Troops 2378, 2000
ELLM Association

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson