Picture this… You’re spending the weekend camping at Camp Blue Bay with your Girl Scout troop. Your troop is sitting around the campfire at Romany Wood. You’re sitting on a bench, but it is a little dewy from the day. Wouldn’t it be awesome if you had a sit-upon?
Sit-upons are exactly what they sound like; something you sit upon. A sit-upon provides a dry, slightly cushioned barrier between you and the ground, a bench, bleachers, or whatever else you might be sitting on. They can be store bought or hand-made (hint, hint: hand-made sit-upons make a great troop activity leading up to a camping weekend). And, remember although you can make sit-upons that aren’t waterproof (they are useful because they provide comfort), waterproof sit-upons are a great idea because we don’t want a little rain to dampen a camping weekend.
Check out some of these sit-upons ideas…
- Make a sit-upon using an old vinyl tablecloth.
- Make a sit-upon using some leftover wallpaper, newspaper and yarn.
- Weave together a sit-upon using old newpapers (might not be waterproof).
- Elevate your seating by making this bucket sit-upon.
- Use reusable shopping bags to make a sit-upon… they have the added bonus of having a handle for easy carrying.
- Purchase a Girl Scouts of Nassau County Sit-upon from the GSNC Shop for $3.00.