My Experience as a Gold Award Intern with Girl Scouts of Nassau County (Guest Blog)

by Gina G.
Gold Award Intern
Girl Scouts of Nassau County

As my internship with the incredible organization that is the Girl Scouts of Nassau County quickly comes to an end, I can easily say that I am extremely grateful for the time spent working within the marketing office here. As a current graduate student pursuing my Master’s and a future career in public relations, I appreciate this experience, one which led me to gain many valuable skills while adding to my pre-existing understanding of public relations, marketing, and communications as a whole.

Having the chance to work in a close-knit department where open communication came easily and asking for assistance was never a hesitation, GSNC has shown me a prime example of what a positive office setting looks like. As a current full-time student, experiencing the many tasks and duties of marketing led me to understand how much and how often it overlaps and involves public relations, proving how important it is that I have background knowledge in fields beyond my own. As a Gold Award Girl Scout and lifetime member of Girl Scouts, I am honored to have had the opportunity to give back to an organization that did so much for me, and I am proud to have been involved in recognizing the new generation of extraordinary girls of Nassau County.

Throughout this internship, I was tasked with an array of projects including the creation of many Gold Award related materials. From building the ceremony slide show, which highlighted each of the 71 Gold Award Girl Scouts of 2018, to making the Gold Award ribbons awarded to each girl on stage, and even filing through the bundles of awards sent to GSNC, which congratulated each individual girl on their hard work, being involved with the Gold Award process was truly special to me. Seeing how much time and effort the individuals here at GSNC put into creating, preparing for, and executing an event all about recognizing the accomplishments of young women in our community made me appreciate both the weight behind earning this award as a Girl Scout as well as all the unseen work that takes place at GSNC each year.

Girl Scouts has remained a constant part of my life over the last 17 years; from joining Brownies in the 1st grade to finally earning my Gold Award during my junior year of high school, and all the trips, activities, and friends made in between. I choose to stay connected to this organization because of the inspiring individuals I have had the privilege of meeting through it and because of the overall effect it has on young girls across the United States. I am tremendously grateful for my time spent here this summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson