As Girl Scouts in Nassau County, many of us and our sister Girl Scouts are feeling the effects of Hurricane Sandy right here in our home towns. We thank our sister councils for their thoughts and prayers through this tough time and we continue to keep those affected in our hearts. Many of us are asking, “what can we do to help?”
First and foremost, check on the other Girl Scouts in your Troop and in your Association. See if there is anything they need.
If you want to help others:
- Start a food drive and donate to Island Harvest or your local food pantry. Island Harvest, (631) 873-4775
- Start a collection of baby food, diapers and wipes.
- Long Island Cares- Nassau Service Center, 84 Pine Street, Freeport, NY 11520, (516) 442-5221
- Start a supply drive. Many shelters and organizations are in need of diapers, formula, food, water, household cleaners and personal care items.
- Create Shelter Activity Kits for Kids or bring books and craft supplies, such as construction paper, crayons, coloring books, glue and scissors to local shelters so that the children at these shelters have something to do.
- Create Comfort Kits for your local shelter- Kits should include tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, wipes, hand sanitizer
- Start a pet food, towel, bedding and animal toy drive. Local pet shelters, including the Nassau County Pet Evacuation Centers are looking for bedding, towels and other supplies for animals. Contact the shelter in your town to find out what they are looking for or go to
- Nassau County Pet Evacuation Shelter, 241 Miller Ave., Uniondale, NY 11553, (516) 272-0017
- Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter, 3320 Beltagh Ave., Wantagh, NY 11793, (516) 785 5220
- Sign up as a volunteer through the Long Island Volunteer Center, Island Harvest, American Red Cross and other local organizations.
Girl Scouts of Nassau County has started an effort to match up those who need help with those who would like to help. If your Troop is interested in being matched with another Troop in the area, please contact GSNC at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request or offer of help. You can assist our efforts by clicking here and making adonation to the Girl Scouts of Nassau County Hurricane Relief Fund. The Girl Scouts of Nassau County Hurricane Relief Fund will help get Troops up and running; replace uniform components, Journey books and Girls Guide to Girl Scouting books; provide scholarships for program and camp participation; and restore
damage to Camp Blue Bay.
damage to Camp Blue Bay.
Remember, just because the storm is over, doesn’t mean that people no longer need help! Volunteering and Community Service is important during all seasons of the year.