We Give Thanks for…



In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, many people in Nassau County and all over the country are coming to realize all the things in life that they take for granted… warm meals, heat, electricity, homes, family, caring neighbors, etc.
With all that has occurred and with the holiday season approaching, it is important that we give thanks and show appreciation for the things in life that we have.  I for one am thankful to have the best job in the world, with the best team ever, doing important work to make the world a better place; I am thankful for my family, my friends, my Girl Scouts, my volunteers, a warm meal at night and a roof over my head.
I asked my staff members to complete the following statement, “I am thankful for…”
Here is a brief glimpse at how the GSNC Staff members completed the statement:
·       my co-workers—they are amazing!
·       the friendship of my Girl Scout family.
·       my neighbors who came together and helped dismantle the tree in my yard.
·       to have family, friends and co-workers who are always there to provide support in any way that may be needed.
·       that through the recent devastation, my family and friends are safe.
·       for the health and safety of family and friends.
·       The amazing people I have met through Girl Scouts, especially the volunteers.  Many are Girl Scout sisters I will have for the rest of my life.
·       my family and friends.
·       all the gifts Girl Scouts of Nassau County has given me, taught me and allowed me to share with others.
·       the power of numbers… and ice cream.
·       the love of my family and friends.
·       my family, friends, and the things I used to take for granted—warmth, light, freedom from want.
·       the love of my family and the friends I have made through Girl Scouting.
·       my new job at Girl Scouts.  I love being part of such a great organization; changing the world, one woman at a time!
·       my neighbors, my friends, my family, and my Girl Scout family.
·       a job that keeps me intellectually stimulated.
·       laughter of those around me—kids, family, co-workers, and friends.
·       the kindness of the staff and membership in reaching out to help people in the community.
·       family and dear, dear friends that got us through the past few weeks!  They are always there… we just notice more now!
·       the outpouring of help, kindness and love I have seen and heard of to help our community begin to cope with the devastation.  I am Thankful for the leaders and other volunteers who are checking on their girls and their communities, and for those who are finding ways for girls to support each other – and even to share a little fun in being together, helping girls perhaps be a little less afraid.  I would bet that each of our girls and families – regardless of how the storm impacted them – has also reached out to make things better for someone else…and that spirit of giving is what I am most Thankful for! 
As a council, Girl Scouts of Nassau County is thankful for…
·       the 20,000+ Girl Scouts we serve,
·       the 7,000+ volunteers who help build girls of Courage, Confidence and Character, who make the world a better place,
·       the 1,500 Troops in our Council,
·       the 121 girls who earned the Gold Award this year,
·       our Board of Directors,
·       our Staff and
·       all of our community supporters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson