Once a Girl Scout, Always a Girl Scout: Girl Scout Alum Melanie's Story


How Troop Meetings, Council Activities, Girl Scout Leaders, and the Girl Scout Gold Award Have Helped Melanie Become the Leader She Is Today!


Who are Girl Scouts? Girl Scouts are go-getters, innovators, risk-takers and leaders. They’re G.I.R.L.S who design robots, learn life skills, improve our neighborhoods and go on amazing adventures. They’re making a difference.


Girl Scouts is a lifelong adventure, full of friendship, connection, service, and fun! Every Girl Scout Alum has a unique story to tell about their experiences and adventures, and we’re sharing those stories.


Girl Scout Alum Melanie was a Girl Scout for 11 years and continues on as an Adult Lifetime Member.

Name: Melanie Sinesi
Council: Girl Scouts of Nassau County

Tell us about your time as a Girl Scout. Looking back, what were some highlights, important moments, life lessons, and/or favorite memories?

Being a Girl Scout is part of the fabric of my identity, having learned many of life’s lessons, teachable moments, and the importance of community service over my many years as a Girl Scout. I started Girl Scouting at the Brownie level, making my way to the Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards. The life lesson that Girl Scouting has taught me (and I am still learning and paying forward) is the power of the GIRL, or in preferred Girl Scouting terms, G (go-getter), I (innovator), R (risk-taker), and L (leader.) My favorite Girl Scout memories include my time spent in the Girl Scouts of Nassau County Chorus, camping at Camp Blue Bay, and recently having the honor and opportunity to meet the CEO of Girl Scouts of the USA, Sylvia Acevedo. One of my recent highlights was keynoting the 2018 Girl Scout Gold Award Ceremony. In my remarks, I reflected on my personal challenges with navigating a career choice and the power of volunteering. My most important piece of advice to the graduating Girl Scouts, was to explore every potential opportunity and never forget to lend a hand to your female colleagues.


Did Girl Scouts have an impact on your career choice/field of study? If so, how?
YES, Girl Scouts had a huge impact on my career choice. After starting my studies at Stony Brook University with the goal of pursuing a medical degree, I soon realized it was not for me. Fast forward to graduation…I applied for an internship with U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand’s Office, and the rest is history. My Gold Award project (and Girl Scouting) taught me to be a leader and an innovator (back to the GIRL agenda), and I credit much of my career’s success to these skills. My troop leader throughout my Girl Scout career was the breadwinner for her family, a mother of 2, and still made time for troop activities and service. Seeing that level of determination and drive at a young age, consistently reminded me to reach for the stars. Today I continue to work in government, a career that embodies service and ambition.


What Girl Scout skills have you used in your college/professional life?
At an early age, being a Girl Scout meant public speaking and community-based activities. My career requires both of these actions each and every day. Girl Scouting taught me the power of a troop, and the power of girls who are passionate. Over the past few years I have been lucky to have had incredible female bosses and colleagues, and to witness the power of women at the table.


Do you continue to volunteer with Girl Scouts? If so, how and why?
Yes! I believe it is my time to start “paying it forward” and give back to Girl Scouts. I served as the Delegate Chair for my association, acting as the liaison between Council and the Bay Association for several years. After I completed my term, I joined the Board DevelopmentCommittee, Delegate Communications Committee, and was given the great honor of being chosen as a National Delegate for 2020.


What advice would you give younger Girl Scouts?
The Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards aren’t meant to be easy. It is this determination and strength at a young age that will give you the tools you need to succeed later in life.


What is one item you always carry with you?
I keep a notebook everywhere I go. I have one on my bedside table, one for the car, one at work, and one always in my purse. Great ideas don’t always strike when you need them, be prepared to jot down the answer wherever you may be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Sit-Upon Using a Reusable Shopping Bag

How To...Tie a Girl Scout Scarf

Working at a Girl Scout Camp by Maggie Robinson