2013 Year in Review
2013 was such an exciting year for Girl Scouts all over, but especially Girl Scouts of Nassau County. We had so many fun and exciting things happen that it was difficult to narrow all of them down to my TOP TEN… so I didn’t!
Here are my Top Moments from 2013…
|2013 Cookie Celebration|
1. The Cookie Celebration last January at the Crest Hollow Country Club was so much fun! And February 8, 2013 marked the first ever NATIONAL GIRL SCOUT COOKIE DAY!
|GSNC 100 Anniversary Gala Honorees|
2. There are not many jobs where you get to wear a ball gown for work! On March 12, 2013, I had the opportunity to wear mine. Over 400 people came to celebrate with Girl Scouts of Nassau County as we celebrated our 100th Anniversary Gala, including our Girl Scouts of the USA CEO, Anna Maria Chavez. There was not a dry eye in the room after honoree George Santiago, Jr. shared the story of how scouting has impacted his life.
|2013 Girl Scout Gold Award Recipients|
3 & 4. The Adult Recognitions Event and the Gold Award Ceremony are always two of the best events in Girl Scouts. Having the opportunity to recognize our volunteers for all their hard work is so much fun. At GSNC’s Gold Award Ceremony there is a celebration of so many hours of hard work, dedication and action taken by young women to make the world a better place. At both of these events, I have the chance to call the volunteers and girls up to the stage and acknowledge their efforts.
|2013 Operation Cookie Send-off|
5. In years past, GSNC always held one Operation Cookie send-off. This year, we had two send-offs! Our girls do such a great job of garnering support from our community for our military personnel and having two events allowed GSNC to recognize the efforts of the girls.
6. The Theatri-gals Performance. Theatri-gals, now in their fifth year, did a wonderful job in writing and presenting their work on stage at the Rust Auditorium at North Shore-LIJ.
7. The May 2013 Annual Meeting was the first time that Girl Scouts from Nassau County were able to vote as elected Delegates from their Associations! That was a very big deal and several years in the making!
8. In 2013, GSNC launched our STEM Advisory Committee in 2013! While the meetings may not make the headlines, the work that our partners bring to the table allows us to make Science, Technology, Engineering and Math more accessible to our girls and will help our girl’s sky rocket into the future!
|2013 Girls Go the Distance|
9. The Girls Go the Distance Walkathon and Activity Fair was just perfect this year! Over 800 girls and their families came out show their support for Girl Scouting and Healthy Living. Girls took part in activities, the Walk and sisterhood!
10. The Farm at Oyster Bay is a wonderful program that gives so much back to the girls in terms of learning and teamwork and contributes to the community with the hundreds of pounds of fresh food that are donated to local food banks.
11. The Autumn Evening of Jazz was a fun night that brought together music lovers, Girl Scout supporters and girls to raise money for Financial Assistance and STEM programming.
12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 & 18. And one of the best things from my seat as CEO at Girl Scouts has been the recent influx of new talent and energy to our staff team in the past year- Wayne, Jan, Milagros, Marilou, Joanie and Kordula have livened up our workforce. And the election of our newest Board President and Chief Volunteer Officer, and my new partner in Girl Scouting, Wanda Jackson!
To turn that Girl Scout phrase, "I Can't Wait to…" see at the exciting adventures ahead for the Girl Scouts of Nassau County in 2014!